Ingredient Spotlight: Preventhelia

Published on:  May 24, 2019
Last updated on:  March 19, 2020

In this post, we're going to spotlight a key ingredient, Preventhelia, which has been shown to protect the skin from the effects of UV damage. 

Preventhelia is a peptide, and it's written on labels by its technical name:  diaminopropionoyl tripeptide-33.

Yeah, that's a mouthful!  But, regardless of what it's called, let's talk about why it works.

I'll walk you through the slides with a little bit of text also to keep you moving.

UVA accounts for 95% of the sunlight reaching our skin and UVB accounts for the remaining 5%. 

UVC is fully absorbed by the upper atmosphere due to its extremely short wavelengths. 

UVB with a wavelength between UVA and UVC is blocked by clothing and car windows, and UVB is also the one responsible for sunburn. 

UVA with its longer wavelength can penetrate into the dermis and is the wavelength we generally worry about for long-term photodamage.

Both UVA and UVB are damaging to our cells in different ways.

UVA can do this by breaking the DNA backbone (single strand DNA break) or by causing cross-linking within cellular proteins.

And, UVB can cause cross-linking within a DNA strand (so instead of base pairs forming a bridge, they backlink onto themselves and form a U).  UVA does this by generating reactive oxygen species (ROS) and reactive carbonyl species (RCS).

What does DNA cross-linking and strand breakage look like?  It shows up as a tail on a comet assay.

DNA comet assay in cells exposed to UV rays in the presence and absence of Preventhelia

One of the worst Reactive Carbonyl Species (RCS) is 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal (more commonly referred to by its abbreviated name 4-HNE).  This RCS is generated in the presence of UVA waves.  It inhibits the work of DNA repair proteins so that these proteins can't efficiently fix DNA post sun exposure.

Preventhelia shields cells from the effects of 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal effectively quenching this potent radical carbonxyl species.

What does protection from 4-HNE look like?  Well, the slide below provides an idea of this showing cells before and after sun exposure when they're incubated in Preventhelia solution.  You'll notice that cells retain their vitality in the presence of Preventhelia more so than when they're exposed to UV rays in the absence of Preventhelia.

 

protection of cells in presence of Preventhelia when exposed to UV light

Preventhelia offers protection from the effects of UV exposure.

Which of our products contain this restorative and protective peptide? 

Every single one of our face lotions and serums contain Preventhelia.  For maximum sun protection and repair, we recommend Shade in a Bottle Day & Night Lotion or Beach Bum After Sun Serum.

References:

 

About the Author

Brandy Searcy of Return to Eden Cosmetics

Brandy Searcy is a pharmaceutical formulation development scientist with over a decade of experience in skincare product development. She holds a B.S. in chemical engineering from Georgia Tech and was raised by a registered nurse.  Health jargon is her second language.

During the daylight hours, when she's not at her day job formulating pharmaceuticals, you'll find her outside in a garden, walking alongside meadows and streams, or watching hummingbirds with her husband and two rescues in Southern California.  By night, she's likely whipping up a batch of product or developing new skincare formulations.

Brandy's working day by day to leave no trace on the environment while doing everything she can to make the world better for those she crosses paths with, whether that's fellow humans or other animals. The products offered on this site are creations of her own hands with years of experience and a passion for safe & effective skincare poured into each product.

Brandy's LinkedIn Bio

Subscribe to our newsletter:

← Older Post Newer Post →

← Back to All Articles